The Heritage Crafts Network

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Lordy its been a busy few weeks................but very interesting!

Where to begin. I did a second demonstration in sunny Ilkestons Summer Happening in Victoria Park. I did not take the pole lathe but I bodged about on the shave horse finishing some spoons and nattering to the public. I really enjoyed the time and once again the feedback was fantastic.
Roger the wonderful Rotarian has offered all sorts of support and a big thanks goes to him especially for help with the new non oak lathe beds.
Later in the evening I visited Shed2, an arts studio in Ilkeston just crammed with talent and exiting stuff. Travis who is an artist has a wonderful piece of kit to create copies of carvings and images from computer graphics. Very dusty but an amazing machine.
Last Thursday I met a man in a pub called Bob Trubshaw, he is the organiser of the Leicester "Project Gargoyle", an amazing scheme to photograph and log all the church carvings in the country starting in Leicester. He is also a folk law history author  has his own publishing company and has written many successful books on the subject all in all a very interesting man to know. His many contacts include the manager of a very prestigious shop in Avebury of all places who would like to sell some wood carvings. Alot to sort out yet but i smell a hint of potential.
Spent the weekend carving a medieval frog and learning how to use wet stones to sharpen tools. Found some more timber too, what can  I say a good weeks work I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment