The Heritage Crafts Network

Sunday 6 June 2010

Beginnings

After a very hard working week spent in Devon with Guy Mallinson I made my Pole Lathe and Shave Horse, with some pushing and shoving the equipment squeezed into my little and temperamental Nissan Micra and we made the journey home to Nottingham. The Micra did so with no cause for concern. Setting up the lathe by myself was simplicity itself. I managed to do it on my own.
The next challenge is getting hold of raw materials. I managed to obtain some great quality Ash from the side of the road near to Newstead Abbey and I managed to split these logs down into four stool sized legs these I shaped on the Shave Horse with a view to making a crude stool and also to start the task of building up my physical strength. I can see getting hold of wood will become a real challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment