The Heritage Crafts Network

Monday 28 June 2010

Holiday at home

Week off and I am doing some preparing for a few events I am booked for. Never done a public show so i am trying to get together examples of all I can do and try to make some new items.
With this in mind I am making a large bowl made of cherry wood. I got the timber from a log supplier in ravenshead and it is beautiful top quality timber. Cherry has an amazing quality of self tanning when the wet wood is exposed to air. I love the way timber can take me unawares, I am having to work fast to minimise the cherry splitting as there is a lot of end grain timber on show. If the wood does split I may use some thick copper wire so it can look a little like the black smith staples they used to put in old cracked pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment